Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I'll go first

Since it was my idea to start up a blog for all of you to tell your wrestling story, I think it is only right that I share my story forst to get the ball rolling.

Wrestling has been ingrained in my life since I was 10 years old. I remember trying out for my elementary school wrestling team in the fourth grade wondering what on earth I was about to sign up for. One of my schoolmates brought me an old school pair of worn out purple Asics to wear and I still have these to this day.

From day one I was not the most talented wrestler but I absolutely loved the feeling of being in total control of my actions on the mat, win or lose everything was on my shoulders. The sense of accomplishment after winning a wrestling match is unparalleled.

Wrestling became my life. I lived and breathed wrestling and I was lucky enough to be around a group of people who were just like me. My wrestling brothers and I all competed and trained together from little league on eventually leading to us winning three high school team state championships.

My personal story comes in during my senior year of high school. I was undefeated about midway through the season, ranked first in the state and looking to capture a state championship my senior year. Unfortunately, before I could accomplish my goals injury struck and I broke my leg leaving me out for the remainder of the year.

It was during this tough time I learned how amazing the wrestling community is. I received support from all over the state in forms of letters, phone calls, personal visits and much more. This support helped drive me to get out of bed each day. It is a hard thing when you are 18 years old and your dreams are crushed like that, but the wrestling world had my back.

Using this as motivation I was able to turn a year long recovery process of just being able to walk normally into stepping on the mat at the state tournament three months after my injury. Did I win? no, but that is not the point. The point is that because of this experience and because of wrestling I found out that I could overcome any obstacle that came my way. Wrestling made me learn how to be a man. I would not be where I am today without this great sport.

After high school I was able to earn a scholarship at the University of Oklahoma and wrestle at one of the best wrestling schools in the nation. After graduating I even found a job in wrestling at the USA Wrestling national office. Everyday I get to work with the sport that I love. There is nothing better than that.

Now that you know a little more about my story let's hear yours! Keep Olympic Wrestling!

Yours in wrestling,
Richard Immel

No comments:

Post a Comment