Thursday, May 9, 2013

Story by Ben Fiers



I started wrestling way back in the first grade. I loved every minute of it. My parents would take me to a Saturday tournament and on our way home I would ask them to find a tournament for me to wrestle on Sunday. As the years went by I attended Ken Chertow's camps in the summer and fall. I learned so much more than just wrestling at those camps. I learned teamwork, respect for my opponent, and how to build a strong mind and body. I was always a big kid, so my Dad started moving me up a weight/age bracket for tougher competition. Sometimes I won and sometimes I lost. During that time I learned how to lose with my head held high and win with dignity. Over the eight years in youth wrestling I placed several times at the youth state tourney and even took first at Nationals my 8th grade year.

As I moved into high school I made the varsity team as a Freshman at 189 lbs. That is when I met Coach Jason Lulloff. He was just out of college where he was a wrestler at UW LaCrosse. He handed me my butt everyday at practice and I vowed that one day I would hand him his. I had a rough year that year always being the Freshman up against the Seniors. But it all paid off when I took champion at my sectionals and advanced to the State tournament. I didn't get far at State but it was an experience I will never forget.

Sophomore year I decided to drop to 171lbs. I was back in an element of wrestling I really enjoyed. At 189lbs it was alot of muscling your opponent but at 171lbs it was fast and alot of technical moves. I did awesome that year and took champion at both my regional and sectional. I advanced to the State tournament and was on a roll. I came up against a buddy of mine from a rival school in the semi-final round. He threw me....I landed wrong and broke my collar bone. He felt horrible but I knew it was the nature of the beast. I ended up placing sixth at State that year.

My junior year started off with a bang. I was in the best shape of my life both mentally and physically. I was wrestling 170lb and was undefeated going into the toughest match of the year. This guy was ranked #1 in the state and 4th in the nation. I was ready and pinned him in the third period. I knew then and there it was my turn to make a run for state champion! One week later on Christmas Eve 2011, I was in a horrific car crash and suffered a severe traumatic brain injury. From what I was told I was not expected to live. I spent 6 weeks in a coma. My family,friends and wrestling team stayed by my side every day. Mom and Dad would say "don't worry he will make it, he's a wrestler!" I did come out of that coma and spent 5 months in a rehab unit relearning everything from swallowing to eventually walking. I never felt like giving up, that wasn't even a word I knew. As a wrestler I had learned to stay strong and push through, no matter what's thrown at you. That hard work and dedication are sometimes the only thing that gets you to the next day. During my recovery the "WRESTLING FAMILY" from across Wisconsin rallied together to support my family. We were amazed by their generosity and out pouring of love that came from friends and strangers alike.

For the next year I worked hard to get back to wrestling (against all my Dr's. better judgement) It was my senior year and I wanted to wrestle. When the time came for wrestling season to start, all I could think of was getting on that mat. I finally convinced one of my Dr's. to allow me to go to wrestling practice. I had to wear boxing head gear and could only wrestle with Coach Lulloff. I wanted so badly for my brain to remember how to pull off the moves but my response time was so slow that it wasn't safe for me. I continued to support my team through out the season. I was mat side for every dual and tournament. Those guys are my family, they showed me unconditional support. Although I won't be able to fulfill my dream of wresting for a college, I will always live the life of a wrestler.

Thanks for reading my story.
Ben Fiers
Holmen High School
Holmen Wi

No comments:

Post a Comment