Thursday, May 9, 2013

Story by Mercedes Rash


When I first met my husband, I had a rambunctious 2  year old son. When he was 3, my husband suggested we put him into wrestling because he loved the sport and thought it would be a good place for him to let loose some of his energy. The results were amazing. He instantly fell in love with the sport and found a positive place to put his energy. He is now 8 and has a goal to win Gold like Jordan Burroughs, after being a 4 time NCAA champion like Kyle of course. He has the confidence to dream big because of wrestling. I was also amazed by the wrestling community. Wrestling families have a unique relationship. We feel a connection with one another wherever we go. The affects of being a part of this community extends throughout your life. We own a small business and it has grown over the last 5 years beyond out expectations and wrestling has a great deal to do with that. When we talk to prospective clients and they notice us wearing our wrestling club t-shirts, we almost instantly get the job. Its funny, wrestlers just believe in other wrestlers. They instantly know that we believe in hard work and dedication. It also amazes me how it is global. We were on vacation in the Grand Cayman and we went to go rent a car. The manager was making small talk and asked us about our kids. Once again, wrestling came up, because we are proud parents, and we instantly made a friend. His son lives in Florida and wrestles also. Suddenly, we had a free upgrade to a luxury car and the guy was excited about doing this for us because we were a member of his wrestling family. I would hate to see wrestling in the Olympics go away. It would break my heart to have to tell my son that he cannot achieve one of his goals because they took one of the most challenging and exciting sports out of the Olympics. I urge the committee to watch a few little league matches before they make their decision. Future leaders are molded on wrestling mats. Boys and Girls learn that hard work and dedication take you far. They learn how to win graciously and lose with dignity. I know my son will be a better man because of wrestling and I look forward to seeing him win his Gold. 

Thanks, 
Mercedes Rash

No comments:

Post a Comment