Thursday, May 9, 2013

Story by Colin Leypoldt


What Wrestling Has Done For Me.

I began wrestling when I was six. I remember being so scared going out on that mat. My first season I placed third or fourth at most tournaments but the groundwork was set and I was hooked. The next season I won almost every match I had except a few times when I came in second to my teammate. I got most improved wrestler that year and took home some pretty awesome trophies.

My third year I met the Galloway’s and they would forever change the way I looked, felt about, and talked about wrestling. I worked hard and always pushed myself to be better. I wanted to wrestle in the biggest, toughest tournaments and even though I didn't always win I learned something and kept trying. I practiced year round, running, lifting, wrestling. Wrestling was teaching me more than just how to wrestle but also how to be a gracious, humble man.

I was a decent wrestler, made team Nebraska a few years, took home the Triple Crown for winning freestyle, folk style, and Greco state. Last year we moved to Colorado and I was able to take fourth at Colorado All-State. I was on top of the world.

I battled through some pretty crazy things. Things I didn't really understand at the time. I would pass out and stop breathing, I had to go see lots of doctors, but everyone kept saying I was ok. But then a little over a year ago the doctors finally figured out what was going on. They diagnosed me with Fahr’s disease. They told me I had calcifications in my brain and that it would get worse and make it so I can't walk and talk and eventually it will kill me. It's super rare and there is no treatment or cure. I think there are only a handful of people in the world with it.

I heard the doctors but I am a wrestler and wrestlers don't quit. We fight until the last second and that is just what I plan on doing. I have some really bad days with 70 or more seizures. I can't walk or think right some times and my hand and foot lock up from time to time, but nothing is going to stop me. I set a goal to be a high school state wrestling champ and I know I can do it. I will stand on the world stage like Jordan Burroughs and wear my medal proudly for wrestling has taught me to be a fighter and to never give up even when the future looks the bleakest.

Last week I was finally able to get back on the mat it was so tough after not being able to move much the past several months but I wrestled. I can proudly stand on or off the podium today and say I am still a champion! I will never give up, I will never lose hope in a cure, I will never stop inspiring others to do the impossible. Defy all odds, set your goals, and dream big. It will take hard work, dedication, persistent, and skill but wrestling has already taught me all those things!! The rest is easy!!

By Colin Leypoldt

No comments:

Post a Comment