Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Story by Phil Sylvester


My name is Phil, I am 20 years old and currently serve in the United States Navy. When I heard about Olympic wrestling being taken taken away I was in disbelief. I had wrestled from the time I was 6 to being a senior in high school. Wrestling is the ONLY sport that can teach  kids and young  adults self discipline, and give them the "mental toughness" not only to get through practice on an empty stomach, or get up before school to workout while everyone else you know is sleeping; but to get through struggles in everyday life. Because of wrestling I hold myself to a standard everyday instead of taking the shortcuts your average person does. Being forced to push my self at a young age in wrestling made bootcamp not all that bad; I was already used to pushing myself more than the average person does. I have seen grown men crying at bootcamp while I was trying to hold back from laughing! That is all because of wrestling and the words of coach vetter, "mental toughness boys, it'll get you through anything." I hope this story can help persuade the minds of people who have the power to get wrestling back in the Olympics. Taking away this sport from the Olympics is wrong and will potentially effect wrestling at every level.                                

Sincerely,
 Phil Sylvester

No comments:

Post a Comment