Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Story by Andrew Bango


My Life in Wrestling

I was first introduced to the sport of wrestling at the age of 6.  I remember two things about that first year:  I hated my drilling partner who wouldn’t let me learn new moves, and I was going to learn how to walk on my hands if it killed me.  The next year we changed programs and my parents would drive me an hour away to a youth wrestling program in WV.  I remembered competing every Saturday and losing a lot, oftentimes wrestling up a weight or against higher skilled kids.  I would often cry after my losses and remember my mom telling me, “Win or lose, you stay and support your teammates, no matter what.”  Live by that even today.

Fast forward to high school and I make the varsity team because I’m the only 103 pounder we have.  I learn that even with prior experience, there are always people better than you.  My junior year is when I kick it into gear and get serious, and it started with J Robinson’s Intensive Wrestling Camp.  I learned how to push myself mentally and physically on a different level than before.  I start wrestling year-round and was able to finish being a District champ, Region runner-up, and State Qualifier.  Senior year was similar to the previous: attend camps, wrestle year-round and strive to complete my goals.  Sadly, I finished my high school campaign with the exact same finish:  District Champ, Region runner-up, State Qualifier – no medal.  It was a bittersweet end.

I attend a small college in NC, I had talked to the coach about walking onto the program but I wasn’t sure if I could hack it.  This was a D1 school after all!  I learned that out of 27 members of the team, I was one of 4 that were not state champions.  It took me two solid weeks of practice and getting beat on to officially EARN a takedown.  I was so proud that day that I called home to my mom.  College wrestling was a different world, everyone was good, and they all knew more than me.  The only thing I could claim as a positive was my work ethic, I never gave up.  I never amounted to much in competitions, never breaking the varsity line-up and only winning a few matches the entire time.  After three years, I lost all my enjoyment in the sport and hung up my wrestling shoes.  I wish I could say my college wrestling experience was great, but I’d be lying.  I learned what I needed to move onto the next level.

I always knew I wanted to teach and coach, I knew it was a part of me.  I was given my first opportunity while doing my student teaching, and reflecting back - I had lots to learn.  Coming directly from college, it was tough to turn off the “attack, attack, attack” mentality that I had embraced for so long.  I remember coming back from college and my former coach telling me, “I know you’re in training, but your job as a coach is to teach and instruct…compete, but find a balance.”  Afterwards I was able to coach at a school in FL for two years and found it a very rewarding experience.  It was here that I created my personal coaching style and learned through trial and error how to be a successful coach and role model.  I am grateful for the experiences I learned in that wrestling room.

Since then I moved back up to VA and started a program and have been here ever since.  We are building, we are improving, we are learning how to WRESTLE and building MEN in the process.  Wrestling is without a doubt the best sport in the world.  Save Olympic Wrestling!

Andrew Bango

No comments:

Post a Comment